Harmful effects of Mobile Phones
Harmful effects of mobile phones on your kids eyes, is an article published in public interest, community awareness and health education. The author of this article is a children’s eye specialist in Mumbai, a squint specialist and renowned paediatric ophthalmologist and Neuro-ophthalmologist in Mumbai.
Effect of mobile phone on students:
The aim of this article is to create awareness regarding the harmful effects caused by excessive use of Smart mobile phone technology.
There was a time when we all used to say, children should not watch a lot of T.V otherwise they will get glasses and their eyes will become weak.
Everything said and done, with the invention of new technologies, television has probably lost the race and its places now taken by newer devices like desktops, laptops, tablets, & Smart mobile phones.
Well in future also, there will be lot of new devices which will be invented and surely they will beat the ones existing today. We cannot stop the invention of new devices as there is a major part of education, learning, information & update of our knowledge also happening with the help of these new devices. But along with its advantages, we also have tons of disadvantages in store for us.
As always, Of course nothing comes free, and there is a price to pay.
Are cell phones dangerous?
No device as such is harmful and that is the reason it has been approved for the use of human beings. Problems comes when they are misused, or when they are used in the wrong way.as per statistics most of these devices are either not used properly, and the disadvantages or the harmful effects show up quickly ,when they are over used.
Such is the problem we are facing today, and it becomes all the more important when these problems get targeted towards our kid’s eyes. As we all know in today’s world kids are using all the aforementioned devices and not to mention Smart mobile phone has got the maximum accessibility, and availability leading to excessive usage among kids.
Harmful effects of mobile phones on students:
Kids are learning lot of new information, educational material, updated knowledge and also using Smart mobile phones for entertainment and recreation. Most of the kids do use Smart mobile phones as a source of passing time.
Whichever way, a child uses Smart mobile phones, but there are certain concerns which parents must be aware of, before handing over Smart mobile phones to their kids.
Effect of mobile phone on human health:
This article is a sincere attempt to summarise all the harmful effect of Smart mobile phones on kid’s eyes and health in general.
All these harmful effects are very well understood by medical science, and the list is expected to grow, in future. In years to come, we will have enough data, regarding the long term use of this Smart mobile technology and the negative effects; it has created on kids eyes and health in general.
Negative effects of mobile phones:
Till date our data is limited to short term use of this Smart mobile phone technology, most of the harmful effects produced after long term usage, are not yet surfaced and only time will uncover them.
As the time passes by, these long term ill effects will start surfacing and will be prime reason for the endless list of harms faced by humans, due to the use of Smart mobile technology specifically Smart mobile phones.
Impact of mobile phones on youth:
Let us first enumerate all these harmful effects of Smart mobile phones and later we shall discuss each one in detail. Most of the problems, which have been identified till present date, after the discovery of Smart mobile phones and its use till date, are as follows,
Dangers of cell phones:
- Cell phones causing eye strain in kids eyes.
- Tablets causing development of squint in children’s eyes.
- Smart mobile phones causing development of glass prescription in kids, spectacle’s.
- Cell phones causing strabismus in children.
- Mobile phones causing cock eyes, misaligned eyes due to accommodative stress on eyes..
- Harmful effect of Smart mobile phones on health -Cell phones causing recurrent headache due to improper posture, illumination and wrong working distance during the use of Smart mobile phones in teenagers and adults.
- Mobile phones aggravating dry eyes.
- Excessive use of cell phones disturbing balance between eyes and brain.
- Smart mobile phone Overuse and wrong posture causing Eye muscle imbalance.
- Cell phone radiation effects: Radiation-harmful radiation is cooking our brain.
- Health hazards.
- Inappropriate use of Internet.
- Negatively affecting hobbies and academics.
- Development of aggression, and its effect on family life.
- Smart mobile phone addiction.
- Effects of cell phone on kid’s finger’s called as “text or cell-phone claw”
- Effects of cell phone on kid’s elbow’s called as “text or cell-phone elbow”.
- Computer vision syndrome in kids
- Nomophobia-also called as “no mobile phone phobia”.
- Phantom pocket vibration syndrome.
- Diminished concentration in kids.
- Increased distress in kids.
- High risk of depression and unusual behaviour in kids and adults.
- Insomnia- inability to sleep night or not able to sleep till late night ,which negatively impacts children’s heath, and is very hazardous and damaging to children’s growth and development ,in the early crucial years of childhood ,where maximum development takes place.
- Knowingly or un-knowingly, a kid might land up with cell phone crime.
- Cell phone tendonitis.
- Can cell phones cause cancer: YES, Risk Of cancer, due to harmful radiation.
- Loss of study time.
- Negative impact on education.
- Psychological problems.
- Development of anger, and anxiety due to games and inappropriate content.
- Effects of cell phone on brain.
- Inappropriate behaviour.
- Learning negative habits, and malpractice from Internet.
- Adult sites and pornographic sites-children get exposed to inappropriate photographic advisements, and severely damaging pornographic pop-ups.
- Effect of cell phone on children’s necks- called as “cell phone neck syndrome”.
- Negative impact on parent-child relationship.
- Cell phone addiction.
- Last but not the least, is the serious effects of improper usage of cell phone on your kids eyes- or rather I should say –improper use of cell phones damaging your children’s eyes.
Bad effects of mobile phones on students:
This does not mean, children should not use cell phones, Smart mobile phones or mobile phones.We should not deprive them from learning, educating and updating themselves with the recent information and database, which is the need of the modern times.
But there is a proper way of using these devices, be it a cell phone, Smart mobile phone, tablets Or desktop.
Positive effects of mobile phones:
If used in the proper way then the only thing these devices, offer you is a huge benefit for your children’s learning and knowledge. These devices will not only improve your child’s knowledge from educational, academics point of view, but also in all the aspects of learning and creativity.
This is all possible, only if these devices, Smart mobile phones are used in the proper way.
And here, we land up with a million dollar question??
What is the proper way of using Smart mobile phones??
Harmful effects of Smart mobile phones on humans?
Here in this series of articles, we shall discuss all these questions and concerns which parents and students are worried about, when it comes to use of Smart mobile phones and its harmful effects on children’s eyes?
- How to use cell phones properly?
- How to make use of Smart mobile phones, in friendly and Smart mobile way, to get the maximum benefit from cell phones for students, children’s and adults?
- How to avoid harmful effects of Smart mobile phones on students and kids?
In our next article in this series, we shall answer all the above questions and also learn ways to And we will also learn, how to avoid the above mentioned harmful effects of Smart mobile phones on students and kids?
Other related article which might interest you,
- Eye strain in children,
- Eye strain in adults,
- Squint in children,
- Squint in adults,
- Computer Vision Syndrome in kids,
- Near vision problems,
- Amblyopia in kids,
- Amblyopia treatment in adults,
- Treatment of lazy eyes in MUMBAI,
- Lazy eyes treatment in adults,
- Children’s eye examination,
- Kids eye check-up by children’s eye specialist in mumbai ,
- How to clean eye glasses.
- Computer vision syndrome in computer professionals.
So until, next time don’t overuse Smart mobile phone technology….
About the author,
“Dr Manish Shyamkul” is a children’s eye specialist doctor, pediatric ophthalmologist, having children’s eye clinic in Mumbai, dedicated for the diagnosis, investigations, treatment and management of children’s eyes disorders, squint specialist, Neuro-Ophthalmologist, and children’s eye diseases, counselling on children’s eyes problems and counselling for behavioural eyes problems in children. For details –children’s eye specialist in Mumbai, pediatric ophthalmologist in Mumbai.
If you have any queries or suggestions, put them in the comment box below, and we will try to reply as quickly as we can.